The original recipe from which this is based can be found here. The changes I’ve made from the original recipe were to cut by half the amount of ground thyme, ground ginger, black pepper and white pepper used in the recipe. The original amounts created a spice mix that was way too strong and which killed all of the other flavours including the chicken.
This recipe uses a T-FAL EZ-Clean deep fryer set at 165°C to compensate for the fryer’s lower than indicated cooking temperature.
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1½ tsp fresh thyme or ¾ tsp ground thyme
- 1½ tsp basil
- 1½ tsp ground ginger
- 1½ tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 TBSP celery salt
- 1 TBSP dried mustard
- 1½ TBSP white pepper
- 2 TBSP garlic salt
- 4 TBSP paprika
Makes about ¾ cups (12 tablespoons) of spice mix.
To coat and deep fry 12 pieces of chicken using 4 skinless and boneless chicken breasts:
- In a medium bowl, mix 4 to 5 tablespoons of spice mix with 1 cup of bread flour.
- In a small bowl, whisk 2 egg whites with 1 egg white’s worth of milk.
- Dip each chicken piece in the egg white mixture, then coat with the flour mixture.
- Repeat the dip and coat once.
- With a T-FAL deep fryer, deep fry at 165°C for 10 minutes, or 12 minutes if you have “chunky” pieces of chicken.
- Put on a wire rack to drain, serve within 15 minutes to maintain heat and crispness.
After trying this, you’ll start to wonder why KFC has stopped making any decent fried chicken for decades.